Friday, July 8, 2011

Friendship and Love/ Hubris

"I don't know what I'd been intending to do, but when Ruth said this, for some reason, without really thinking about it, I just stepped out of the car.  Ruth stayed where she was, and that was why, when Tommy came up to us, his gaze fell on me and why it was me he hugged first."  This chapter was filled with many interesting things.  Ruth and Kathy went to go visit Tommy.  As they were heading back from the boat, Ruth apologized to keeping Kathy and Tommy apart from each other.  Tommy and Kathy did not really know what to do at that point.  Ruth I feel knew she was going to die, so she wanted to set everything straight before she did.  Ruth wanted Kathy to be Tommy's carer and "give it a try."  Before Ruth passed away, Kathy told her she would be Tommy's carer and "give it a try."  I feel that Kathy is doing this for herself, but also because she wants to remember Ruth and be a good friend to her because that is what Ruth wanted.  I also appreciate the fact that Ruth and Kathy had time together before Ruth passed because "you truly never know what you got until it's gone."

Also, in these couple chapters, Kathy and Tommy truly see how fragile Ruth is when she is afraid to go under the barbwire fence.  This demonstrates hubris because Ruth comes across as tough and in charge; however, she is more fragile and sensitive than anyone knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment