Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning"

"A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning" by John Donne is a poem that took much thinking.  However, once I read it twice, I feel I understood more of it.  It is a little bit of a depressing poem.  "The breath goes now, and some say no."  This means that some people are dying.  Their physical bodies, along with God are saying now is the time for them to go to Heaven.  However, others are not ready for them to leave earth.  Also, there is another significant line throughout the poem.  "No tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move."  I feel that the speaker is saying do not cry for me because we will one day be together again!  One of the most important meanings of the poem that stuck out to me the most was that when someone dies, love is what keep them and people on Earth together.

No comments:

Post a Comment