Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Crossing the Bar"-personification

"Sunset and evening star, and one clear call for me."  This is an example of personification.  The author is stating that the star is calling the speaker, giving the star human characteristics.  "Crossing the Bar" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson is a really cool poem, actually.  I feel that this poem could have a couple different means; I am not sure which one is more correct.  Either someone just passed away, and when the speaker looks at the stars, it reminds him of his loved one that passed away.  Also, he is remembering that they will see each other again, after he "crosses the bar," meaning the bar between Heaven and earth.  The other meaning could mean that the speaker will one day meet God.  "My pilot..."  This was a reference to someone in the poem.  I think "my pilot" stands for God.  However, it could mean both meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment