Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"APO 96225"- irony

"APO 96225" by Larry Rottmann is a weird poem.  I could not tell if it was an insulting poem or a depressing one.  "Please don't write such depressing letters.  You're upsetting your mother."  Frankly, this response was not what I expected at all!  I had to read it another time to just make sure I was reading it right.  I feel that the author was trying to lighten up the moment, or trying to be funny about a really touchy, depressing subject.  I feel that there was irony throughout this poem.  Some of it I felt was sarcastic; however, I think there was a little bit of meaning behind it.  I feel that the speaker is saying that parents always say they want to know everything that is going on in their child's life.  However, when the child tells the parents everything, the parents wish they had never known.

No comments:

Post a Comment