Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Toads"-Symbolism

"Toads" by Philip Larkin is a very interesting poem, and shows much symbolism.  I feel that the "toad" is meant to symbolize something that is a burden or a hardship.  As the speaker states, "Why should I let the toad work, squat on my life?"  I think this means that the speaker is trying to conquer their obstacle or challenge they are being faced with.  They are determined to not allow the "toad" affect their life.  In my opinion, the speaker is insecure about himself because he talks much about what other people have, and what he does not.  For example, he says, "Their unspeakable wives are skinny as whippets."  This is the speaker talking about other people's wives.  As I said, he seems jealous of all the riches others have, and he regrets what he does not.

No comments:

Post a Comment