Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Verbal Irony

"Thus I relieve thee, my creator," he said, and placed his hated hands before my eyes, which I flung from me with violence;"thus I take from thee a sight which you abhor."  This was said by Victor.  When Victor told the creature that he did not want to see him, the creature places his hands over Victors' eyes.  This is an example of verbal irony because the author is trying to show that the creature was being sarcastic with Victor.  This basically shows a funny, sweet side to the creature.  It displays that he is not mean and angry, but that he also likes to have fun just like regular people.  It always shows that the creature is not afraid of Victor.  He even tells Victor that he does not want to hurt him, but if Victor keeps treating him badly then he will.  He also reminds Victor that he did create him very powerful and strong.  I feel that Victor was trying to stand up to him, but this made him fearful again!

No comments:

Post a Comment