Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"Edward"

Weirdly enough, when I was reading this poem, I kept getting "There's a whole in my bucket" by Goofy in my head.  I think this was because of the structure of the poem.  For example, the speaker kept saying "Edward, Edward", and in the song, Goofy says "Dear Liza, Dear Liza."  This is a link to a video to hear "Dear Liza" if you choose too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTeWGD4Q9T4&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL89A0CA535B95D276.
Anyways, this poem was one of the longer ones!  I have a few ideas of what it could mean.  "O I have killed my father dear, Alas, and woe is me O!" "And what will you leave to your children and wife, when ye go over the sea, O?"  These two lines make me feel that the speaker possibly killed his dad, and he is now considering killing himself because he realized the huge mistake he made.  He keeps thinking to himself, though, what will happen to his wife and kids.  He is also thinking about how much he must have hurt his mom by doing this awful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment